The State Fair of Texas has been a Lone Star tradition since its humble beginnings back in 1886. Visitors come from all over the world to experience this much anticipated annual event. This year, the fair (themed “Passport to Texas”) will run Friday, September 25 through Sunday, October 18, at Fair Park in Dallas. Besides the rides, entertainment, exhibits, and attractions, it will be a place family and friends come to celebrate the culture, history and cuisine of Texas. And boy, will there be cuisine…and more than likely, it will be fried! I plan on sampling it all: the fried beer, Chicken Fried Lobster, Deep Fried Nutella, and, of course, the winners of this year’s “Big Tex Choice Awards”: The Holy Moly Carrot Cake Roly and the Smoky Bacon Margarita. After all that eating, I think I’ll be ready for some deep fried Alka Seltzer!
But the State Fair of Texas is much more than just fabulous food; there will be all sorts of live entertainment (from dancing dogs to free concerts), an incredible auto show (my wife and I always pick out our dream cars there…and as you may have guessed, they are never the same!), livestock shows and contests, agricultural exhibits, and a spectacular carnival midway with over 70 exciting rides guaranteed to thrill fairgoers of all ages…all under the watchful eyes of Big Tex, the fair’s beloved 55-foot tall cowboy.
Besides the old favorites, this year the Fair has added some new attractions, including:
- Beer Haven, touted as the largest bar on wheels! Here you will be able to sample a wide variety of craft beers and 60 different beers on tap, including some local brews.
- The all-new Lone Star Horse Spectacular, a thrilling show celebrating the rich history of our great state featuring professional stunt riders, narrated by Barry Corbin (a great actor and a Texas native, too.)
- The Rooster Crowing Contest sounds like it’ll be a hoot…or should I say a cock-a-doodle-do! Contestants try to get their roosters to out-crow their competitors, making for a fun-filled family event.
- And speaking of families, Big Tex’s Farmyard will be back, but bigger and better than ever, with more educational activities, interactive exhibits, and live animal displays, where kids can learn about the importance of farming and ranching in Texas.
- Also new and improved will be the Illumination Sensation by Mattress Firm, a breathtaking display which takes place nightly along the Esplanade. The show this year will feature even more fireworks and dynamic acrobatic dance performances (including dancing waters!), all synchronized to invigorating pop music!
The State Fair of Texas is renowned for being one of the best and most highly attended state fairs in America, and for good reason! It is definitely an event not to be missed!